Is your skin very dry and parched? When you wash your face, does your skin become tight and stretched? Do you always feel the need to dab on creams and moisturizers to soothe your skin?
If you have naturally dry skin, you will face these problems regularly. Dry skin is one that produces less amount of sebum, and in which moisture gets easily lost. It is a skin type that affects almost one-third of the world’s population and can be due to heredity or race too.
Even those who have normal or combination skin can face skin dryness from time to time. Lack of humidity in the atmosphere, using hot water for bathing or washing your face, or using synthetic, chemical-based skincare products tend to dry your skin. With advancing age, our skin loses its natural moisture, so after your twenties, your skin tends to become drier.
Read on to know more about dealing with skin dryness.
Healthy Habits to Tackle Dry Skin
If you are struggling to keep your face and body skin from excessive dryness, then there are some tips that will help you.
Some basic ways to tackle dry skin are:
- Drink at least 3-4 liters of water daily to hydrate your skin from within.
- Eat fruits and vegetables with antioxidants like broccoli, strawberries, spinach, and with high water content like cucumber, melons, tender coconut, etc. Your diet has a large role to play in nourishing your skin.
- Limit your shower timings, and bathe in cool or tepid water. Avoid hot water, even in winters.
- Avoid being in an air-conditioned environment for long hours, as it dehydrates the skin.
- Avoid smoking and limit your alcohol intake.
Daily Skincare Routine for Dry Skin
A skincare routine you must follow daily would involve Cleansing – Toning – Moisturizing. Anti-aging and under-eye skincare are also musts.
- Use skincare products that are alcohol and chemical-free, and dermatologist-tested. Additives like synthetic fragrances, parabens, sulfates dry the skin and age it fast.
- An ideal face cleanser for dry skin is one that has Calendula or Cucumber extracts to nourish and hydrate your skin. Opt for a sulfate-free, mild cleanser for your body’s skin too.
- Avoid rubbing your skin too hard while drying after a bath. Dab your skin dry with a soft towel.
- Apply a gentle, hydrating alcohol-free facial toner immediately cleansing your face.
- Use a moisturizer immediately after drying yourself. A skin brightening moisturizer is recommended if you have dark spots on your face or uneven skin tone due to dryness.
- Sun damage causes skin dryness, dark spots, and premature aging. While venturing out during the daytime, always wear a moisturizing sunscreen lotion with SPF 20 and more.
- Use a face oil at night before sleeping, to restore skin moisture and repair your skin. Oils with extracts of flowers like Evening Primrose and Lavender help in overnight skin repair.
Anti Aging and Under Eye Skincare:
- Once you enter your thirties, start using an anti-aging facial oil that has hydrating ingredients like Squalane, Vitamin E, and Hyaluronic Acid.
- Your under-eye skin is particularly delicate and is prone to showing the signs of skin aging first. An under-eye cream with Beta Carotene and Shea Butter helps hydrate this delicate area. Use an anti-wrinkle eye cream too.
Dry skin is more prone to aging as it loses moisture faster, and has lesser sebum production. Make sure you start your daily skincare routine early to keep away premature aging.
Skincare Products for Dry Skin
Start using a gentle, paraben-free cleanser for your face and body. A great cleanser for dry and sensitive skin would be Kiehl’s Cucumber Herbal Conditioning Cleanser. It effectively removes dirt and impurities without drying the skin. With Cucumber extract and Glycerin to condition your skin, the dry-proof formula of this cleanser helps retain the skin’s natural moisture, making it feel soft and supple.
Kiehl’s Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner is infused with Calendula flower petals, Burdock Root Extract, and Allantoin to soothe and smoothen your skin. It is a gentle, alcohol-free, hydrating toner that cleanses your skin without over-drying it. You get healthier, glowing skin with regular use of this facial toner that suits sensitive skin too.
A moisturizer is the most essential skin care product for dry skin. Kiehl’s Clearly Corrective Brightening Smoothing Moisture Treatment, with Activated C, White Birch, and Glycolic Acid, refreshes your skin texture and helps it retain moisture. Activated C is a potent form of Vitamin C that has antioxidant properties to reduce irregular pigmentation. This skin brightening moisturizer promotes healthy collagen production, decreases trans-epidermal water loss, and helps your skin retain moisture, to give you a youthful glow.
Armed with this three-step daily skincare routine, you can relieve your skin dryness effectively.
Your time to glow is Now!