Arthritis is characterized by inflammation and pain, which can sometimes be excruciating. However, there are various types of treatment to ease the chronic pain associated with arthritis. One of the most promising ones in recent times is CBD oil for arthritis. This oil which is extracted from the marijuana plant has been found to be highly effective in improving the symptoms and pain associated with arthritis.
CBD can be made into different products such as tinctures, vapes, oil, capsules, and topical creams. Each of these products can be used to treat specific health conditions. For example, CBD balms can be used to combat muscle pain, CBD sleep capsules for insomnia, and more.
What is CBD?
CBD (cannabidiol) is one of the numerous chemical compounds derived from cannabis plants (hemp). CBD is a non-intoxicating extract because it has a low level of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol). However, it could lead to a bit of drowsiness in some people. The anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties of CBD make it suitable for the effective treatment of various health conditions, including arthritis.
Arthritis and CBD oil
Arthritis is a health condition that affects the joints and causes pain and inflammation. It can affect both young and old, but it’s most prevalent in older adults.
There are various types of arthritis which include; juvenile arthritis, gout, psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis. However, the most prevalent types of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis is a chronic disease that damages the bones and cartilages in the joints. It commonly affects the knee, thumb, and hip. Common symptoms include stiffness, swelling, and pain.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is a medical condition whereby the body’s immune system attacks the joints. It causes redness, pain, and inflammation.
Whichever form of arthritis condition a patient suffers from, the main symptom is chronic pain. Thankfully, CBD oil has been proven to give fast and profound relief to arthritis patients. Various research has been carried out to help ascertain the effectiveness of CBD oils in treating all forms of arthritis. Some of the outcomes of this research show that CBD oil extract can ease arthritis pain when consumed orally. It was also discovered that CBD lotions and balms could relieve the tension of muscles in the affected area.
How does CBD oil relieve arthritis pain?
The use of CBD Oil by arthritis patients will trigger an interaction with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) receptors. This will cause the generation of endocannabinoids called anandamide in high quantities. High levels of anandamide can help inhibit pain by blocking the transmission of the pain signal to the brain.
In addition, the endocannabinoid also reacts with neurotransmitters, causing a significant reduction of inflammation.
How to achieve the best results when using CBD products for arthritis pain
There is little information available on how to get the best results from using CBD oil to treat arthritis; however, you can follow these general tips below to help you get the full benefits of CBD-infused products.
- Before you choose any CBD product, you need to ensure it is certified. GMP-certified products are usually safe, made from pure and high-quality ingredients.
- CBD should be used appropriately alongside other medications to effectively treat arthritis conditions and associated pain.
- Endeavor to start with low strength CBD products, and then you can switch to a higher strength if the need arises.
- When you’ve commenced CBD treatments, ensure that you take note of your improvement.
- It’s always safe to inform your doctor about your CBD medication so that your other medications will be streamlined to give room to your CBD treatment.
- Before you decide to use CBD products for arthritis pain, make sure you’ve tried other medications.
People who should avoid CBD consumption
Though CBD products are safe and effective, some people should avoid using them like every other treatment and medication. These include:
- Pregnant women
It’s important to note that CBD is not suitable for pregnant women because it could lead to the baby’s poor health. Though the effects on pregnancy haven’t been thoroughly verified, expectant mothers should avoid consuming CBD products.
- Underlying serious medical conditions
Suppose you are suffering from a serious health condition, such as heart issues, kidney disease, liver disease, or a weakened immune system. It is best to consult with a marijuana doctor before going ahead to use CBD products.
- Those on certain types of medication
Some medications (prescription and over-the-counter), such as warfarin, lamotrigine, amiodarone, clonazepam, etc., have been reported to react with CBD products. As such, you need to be sure the medication you are on is not going to react with the CBD before consuming it. Ideally, you should avoid consuming CBD along with other medications without a proper prescription. ,