Before buying a bike, you need to consider under what conditions you will use it, for example, for riding around the city streets or performing tricks. You also need to consider the year the model was built (the newest ones are usually more expensive), the weight of the “bike”, its size, wheel diameter, etc.
When choosing a vehicle of this type, it is better not to buy the cheapest model – it will quickly become unusable.
There are several types of bicycles, depending on the purpose – mountain bikes are suitable for off-road, hilly terrain, and you can buy a city bike for a flat road surface. There are also models for performing tricks and jumps, trips along difficult forest routes, etc.
City bikes are designed for short, quiet trips around the city at a speed of 20-25 km / h. As a rule, they have a heavy frame, due to which they are stable, as well as a comfortable steering wheel and seat for a comfortable ride. In addition to a city bike, a small trunk or basket for small purchases may be attached. Some models have only one speed, but there may be 3-7. Such a “bike” weighs from 12 to 17 kilograms.
For off-road travel, you should purchase a mountain bike. In another way, it is called mountain bike, MTB, ATB, niner, or cross-country. This variety has up to 20-24 speeds, a wide and comfortable steering wheel, and massive wheels with a tread that do not slip even on wet ground. A lightweight frame allows you to throw over rough terrain. Some consider a mountain bike versatile because it is suitable for trips off-road and around the city.
Hybrid bikes combine the qualities of road and mountain bikes so that they can ride on asphalt or forest roads with a steep incline. This model has narrow but strong wheels, a suspension fork, a heavy frame, and a slightly lowered handlebar. At the same time, she got narrow and smooth tires from a road bike. Hybrids have 10 or more speeds; they can be equipped with a trunk.
A folding bike is a variety with a folding frame or other elements. This model is compact and convenient for storage at home and transportation, especially for those fond of tourism.
Factors To Consider For Buying a Bicycle
The comfort of cycling depends on the material, quality and geometry of the frame, as well as how long it will last.
A bicycle frame is made from special tubes made from one or more materials. The most common design consists of front and rear triangles. They include the following elements:
- Steering glass – a steering column is placed in it;
- Seat tube – intended for the post of a bicycle saddle;
- Carriage glass – used to place a bearing assembly in it;
- Feathers – needed to increase the rigidity and strength of the frame;
- Dropouts – needed to mount the wheels.
Frames can be of several types – closed, open, folding, and for children.
Frames are made from several types of metal:
- Steel. Steel frames are relatively cheap but very heavy and not the strongest.
- Aluminum. This material is lightweight and not subject to corrosion but inferior in strength to steel; it also needs a suspension.
- Carbon. At the moment, most modern and expensive material for the manufacture of cycles.
Here is how the approximate correspondence should be like for the cyclist:
- Ten inches: For children from 1 year to 3 years.
- Sixteen inches: For children from 3 to 6 years.
- Twenty inches: The diameter of BMX wheels and bicycles for children from 6 to 9 years old or folding.
- Twenty-four inches: The diameter of the wheels of teenage or folding bikes.
The mileage of the bike depends on the width of the tires. The thicker they are, the more cushioning and resistance will be. On the other hand, thin ones are less comfortable, but in this case, the pedals are easier to turn. It depends of the surface type:
- For trips only on paved roads, you can buy thin tires with a minimum tread of 1.5-2 inches.
- For riding on asphalt, rough terrain, gravel, etc., it is better to choose smooth semi-slicks in the center but with a tread on the sides.
- If the tires are fully treaded, they will lose 10-15% of speed even on a good road.
You can buy additional accessories for those who often ride a bike, like outdoor cycling. Again, this is because of mandatory protection. A helmet should always wear a helmet especially if a person is moving on a busy road.
- Flashlight. Suitable for travel at night.
- Rear headlight. One must be on all the time. Otherwise, the motorist may not notice the bike.
- Bottle holder. You need to always have water nearby, especially on long trips.
- Waterproof sportswear. Helps protect against mud in bad weather.
- Trunk. It will be useful for city dwellers who like to go to nature.
- Glasses. Protect from dust, bright sunlight and insects
Once you’ve considered all of these factors, it’s time to start shopping! There are a few different places you can buy bikes: bike shops, sporting goods stores, and online retailers. Try to find quality sellers that offer good customer service and cheap cycle parts for later maintenance. Bikes need to be tuned up every few months, and tires should be inflated regularly. With proper care, your new bike will last for years to come!
Buying a new bike is an exciting process, but it’s important to do your research and take your time. With this guide, you’ll be ready to find the perfect bike for you in no time! Happy shopping!